One for each bear.
Actually, 3 for one bear. I ate em all. Last weekend, coming back from a Tre Orsi gig in Austin.
So here's the deal, The Czech Stop is a gas station + bakery + deli off I35 in West, Texas, exit 353 (from memory, and I bet it's right). They have all kinds of kolaches, deli sandwiches, and baked goods. There's a LOT of shit. Most of it is just ok. Some of it is worth digging into every time though. Many bands stop here. Hell, many people stop here. There are glorious 1980's looking promo pics (autographed!) above the freezers. You can see our friend Joe Cripps on the Brave Combo photo.
Here's what I've learned in 10+ yrs of stopping there.
- The peanut-butter-kiss cookies are the shit. Outside is chocolate dough, but the generously proportioned inner vault is all peanut butter. Each one is heavy, it's that star matter you read about in elementary school, where a spoonful weighs a ton. They're not cheap, but they are the secret weapon I've used as a gift many times.
- Don't eat the egg-salad sandwich. It looks good. I've had it probably 25 times. It's less than mediocre. Barnhart just got it, and let's just say we all suffered the worst of it.
- The kolaches are decent, I like the poppyseed and less fruitier ones.
- Deli sandwiches, dunno.
- Beer bread: good, heavy, little oily or something, but insanely consistent. Thor and I have bought this for each other for years. Makes good breakfast for about a week.
- Cupcakes: the above chocolate on chocolate one was really good. So fluffy it fell apart, but that didn't matter because I'd eat them off the (consistently medium gross) Czech Stop bathroom floor. So consistent the hand air dryer has had the on button hanging out by a spring for years. Back to the eating. The cupcake on the left was good too, a little less decadent. The one on the right was peanut butter, and definitely 2nd best.
- They have a whole freezer of sausages I've never tried. I should.
View Larger Map